Monday 17 September 2012

Packing for Trans Alp Challenge Sept 2012 - Geneva to Monaco - Just Packing!

Trans Alp Challenge Sept 2012 - Geneva to Monaco


Just under two days to go before I set off by Easyjet from Gatwick to Geneva where we pick up our bikes and head off into the mountains for 10 days hopefully ending up in Monaco on the 29th September!

Having chosen not to take my own bike I am being given the brand new 2013 model 'Cannondale Jekyll' mountain bike which offers 'on-the-fly' adjustable rear suspension which will enable me to adapt to the terrain more easily. Is this wise to be testing a new bike for the first time?!!

Bags (amazingly heavy) & Camelbak rucksack now packed including my new birthday 'boys toys' gadgets (very excited about these) -the Garmin 500 GPS &, Go-Pro head video camera and as much knee and elbow padding than the old 'Michelin Man' could shake a stick at! Padded shorts and 'sudocream' makes up the rest!

The GPS will enable me to track exactly where we have gone, distance travelled, altitude, height climbed and descended. I hope will be able to upload my progress each day onto Facebook and my blog page! The new head cam will record the highlights, spills and thrills during the trip too!

The Trans Alp Challenge agenda for the first few days includes:-

Day 1: Geneva to Morzine

Pick up from Geneva airport and transfer to bike shop in Thonon to collect and fit bikes. Discuss trip, safety and riding, head off into the beautiful mountains of the Portes Du Soleil region finishing the day in Morzine (only 1,000 metres above Thonon!).

Day 2: Morzine to Megeve

Uplift out of Morzine, we start from the top of the Col de Joux Plane with a beautiful descent into the Valle L'Arve and the village of Samoen for lunch. Another uplift and descent to the Savoyard village of Megeve.

Updates:
I hope to keep this Trans Alp Challenge blog updated each day where WiFi and mountain conditions allow and will post to my Facebook too - http://www.facebook.com/tim.wells.3950

St Peters Life-Line - As well as challenging myself, I am raising money for a very worthwhile charity. Julie (my better half) runs a small local charity in Berkshire called ‘Pocket Money Fights Poverty’ which through her tireless energy, enthusiasm and activities supports and raises money for another local and very worthwhile cause – 'St Peters Life-Line' http://www.stpeterslifeline.org.uk/

£1,269.00 raised to date. Donations and contributions has been amazing, thank you so much and I am delighted with what we have raised to date which officially is now an incredible £1,269.00 and have pledges to approximately £200 or so more. http://www.charitygiving.co.uk/timwells


Thank you so much for everyones kindness, support & encouragement to date. lets hope the legs are up to it and roll on that beer overlooking the sea on the Mediterranean and dinner in Monaco! 

Cheers to All

Tim



1 comment: